It is not easy to find a topic for your college admission essay — the one that would help you differentiate yourself from others. Here are some tips which will help you find an interesting, exciting and memorable topic for your college admission essay.
1. Start with defining the most important features of your character (disciplined, having a good imagination, goal-oriented). Then, find some examples and situations when you showed this quality when you were faced with a challenge and could demonstrate this quality, or how you developed this quality.
2. Find something interesting and surprising to write about. It may be something that no one would expect of you. For example, if you’re a boy, there is hardly anyone who expects you to like cooking or knitting. It may be something unexpected and unusual that happened to you or some unexpected quality about which no one would guess that you have it.
3. Look through your past experience for some regular activities and usual topics as opposite to interesting, exciting and memorable ones. There are many outstanding facts in everyone’s life. If you want to find some, you will.
4. If you are unable to find an interesting topic for a long time, take a break and browse the internet for sample essays written by other students. Today, there are lots and lots of such websites on the web. Of course, you do not have to use other people’s ideas, as you have your own, but you can use other students’ essay topics for triggering your own associations and ideas. Chances are high that, while looking through these topics, you will find an idea for your essay very quickly. There is also another benefit of this approach. Looking through other people’s essays you will get a feeling of their style which will be useful for writing your own work.
5. Go back to your memory and try to remember situations when you had a problem. It might be simple because people tend to remember bad times even better than the good ones. Once you find your problem, you have your story. Look for such things as mistakes (made by you or someone else), fears and phobias, challenges, serious and sudden changes in your life, all kinds of difficulties.
If you have a topic or an interesting story, chances are high that you will have your college admission essay written in time. After you finish your story, check essay for plagiarism here with one of the essay checkers available on the internet.
I am a freelance writer with more than 5 years of experience in content writing and blogging, currently employed by noplag.com where I help them with their blog.
Also, on a part time basis, I do freelance tutoring. I help my students with their struggles to become a better writer, how to avoid grammar mistakes, spelling mistakes. How to be concise and yet descriptive. How to prove their point in the simplest language possible. How to use proper vocabulary, syntax, punctuation and tone of voice. And of course, how to avoid plagiarism in their reviews, essays and articles.
Working in the education sphere, I realized how important it is to be helpful and to be able to deal with any problems students may have in their learning process.