Codeine vs Hydrocodone: Two Ways to Treat Pain
Codeine is a prescription medication from the family of drugs known as opioid analgesics used to treat mild to moderate pain degrees. It is also sometimes considered to treat coughing except in children as studies suggest it may have specific side effects on them that may get out of hand. Additionally, numerous medical facilities worldwide prefer this drug to treat diarrhea or diarrhea-predominant or irritable bowel syndrome. Weak signs of its effects in treating cancer pain are also there, but it usually comes with the cost of side effects. That is the reason why government guidelines recommend to buy codeine online against legitimate prescription notes.
Hydrocodone is another opioid medication used to treat severe pain when other available medicines do not work well. It works exceptionally well in getting rid of pain post-injury or surgery. Major medical facilities also use this potent drug to minimize pain due to cancers and arthritis. Like codeine, the effects of hydrocodone also help treat pain induced due to fracture and cough in some instances. However, hydrocodone often comes with warnings as it can be easily abused and is habit-forming, resulting in an addiction. One can Buy hydrocodone online and offline pharmacies, but you need to have a prescription note to purchase it legally.
The typical codeine dosage is as per the following:
- This drug’s initial dose would be 15mg to 60 mg orally upto 4 hours or as directed by your physician.
- The dosage of the drug must not exceed 360 mg in 24 hours.
- The starting doses would be subjective to the severity of the pain, response of the medication, and risk factors for abuse or misuse.
The typical hydrocodone dosage is as per the following:
- The starting dose would be 1 to 2 capsules every 4 to 6 hours as needed for adults. Depending upon how the medicine is performing on an individual, further dosage plan will carry out.
- The dosage should not exceed eight capsules per day.
- In the children’s case, the doctor will provide you with a personalized plan as they are more prone to get impacted by its side effects.
Both codeine and hydrocodone work by affecting how the brain and the central nervous system respond to pain and makes it less uncomfortable for the patient to carry out daily activities. But as every coin has two sides associated with it, both of these drugs come along with some side effects that you cannot afford to not to think about before purchasing these drugs to get rid of the pain or cough. Although not all impacts are generally visible on the patients, it does not dispose of the possibility of severe side effects in the patients subjected to these pain relief medications.
Common side effects
Undoubtedly, treating pain through codeine is incredibly beneficial in cases where the sufferer deals with illnesses like back pain or frozen shoulders, which are quite painful. But the side effects of codeine should be taken care of beforehand to avoid any complication in further treatment. Understanding the potential impacts should be on the patients’ priority lists before jumping off to buy codeine online or form other credible platforms. Some of the symptoms that might not be very serious, but you still need to watch out for them in the first place are:
- Night blindness
- Trouble sleeping
- Weight loss
- Nervousness or fear
- Double vision
- Sensation of Spinning
- Stomach pain or cramps
Severe side effects
These are severe impacts which might de-escalate overtime if immediate medical help is not present for the patient. In such cases, you should not wait for other emergency resources to arrive; instead, take quick and sound decisions to prevent severe damage. It includes:
- Irregular heartbeat
- Loss of appetite
- Yellow skin or eyes
- Disrupted blood pressure
Common side effects
Like codeine, hydrocodone also has its share of side effects associated with it, which you cannot miss out at any cost. Consulting your doctor or physician before moving forward to buy hydrocodone online is the step in which you can invest adequate time. Some may come across milder side effects, which are manageable in most of the cases. It includes:
- Back pain
- Stomach pain or discomforts
- Dry mouth
- Difficulty having a bowel movement
Severe side effects
Some may have to deal with side effects capable of worsening the situation for you if urgent medical attention is not made available. In such a case hurrying to the nearest health care center is the soundest decision to prevent any massive toll, including life loss. It includes:
- Bladder pain
- Fever Headache
- Nasal congestion
- Tightness in the chest
- Difficulty in urination or painful urination
- Fast heartbeat
- Shivering and shaking
It is crucial to consider the warning and precautions out there authorized by the government and medical facilities to prevent any mishappening and setbacks associated with these two drugs. Although your doctor will guide you with these warnings and precautions, it is always better to look out for these personally to better understand them in advance:
- Both these prescription drugs are habit-forming, especially in prolonged use, so do not take it extra or without limitation, it may lead to abuse or the medication’s addition.
- Both codeine and hydrocodone may cause life-threatening breathing problems initially. If you have increased the dose abruptly or having unlying breathing problems or heart-related problems, you must avoid these potent medicines to prevent such conditions.
- Drinking alcohol or excessive smoking during the treatment period through these prescription drugs can be lethal at times, so you must avoid alcohol and cigarettes to prevent and complication.
- Suppose you have any allergies form medication or from the ingredients of these medications. In that case, you must convey this to your doctor as using these drugs can cause allergic reactions that can even make things ugly for the patient.
Codeine can not only produce specific side effects of its own but also interact with other drugs to induce reactions or affects the working of itself and the counter drug. Medications like Abacavir, acarbose, acebutolol, and abametapir can react with codeine if taken together. There is a whole list of such medicines, but you need to get in touch with your doctor to understand which drugs to avoid.
Similar is the case of hydrocodone; it can too react with numerous other medicines that sometimes support the process and rest of the time complicate the process. It includes drugs like aclidinium, aprepitant, atropine, benztropine, and many others, which you need must know about in detail to prevent any severe aftermaths.