The Ultimate Benefits of Tulsi as Immunity Booster
Tulsi, also known as holy basil and Ocimum tenuiflorum is a highly effective herb and has been used for ages to prevent diseases. Tulsi as immunity booster has been incorporated into the daily lives of Indians. People consume it in various forms like herbal tea and detox drinks. Tulsi is used for medicinal purposes because it is rich in vitamins, minerals, fiber, etc. It is an anti-viral herb that helps prevent coughs, colds, fevers, and several other ailments. The healing properties of Tulsi herb are due to high amounts of phytonutrients and essential oils. It is an essential disinfectant agent, germicidal agent, fungicidal agent, and antibiotic. A decoction of Tulsi is known to prevent and cure several diseases. And hence is one of the Best Ayurvedic Medicines.
Tulsi as immunity booster works wonders on the human body and the consumption of Tulsi has remarkably increased after the coronavirus breakout. Indian families have begun preparing immunity booster kadhas to fight the virus the traditional way. Before knowing more about the immunity-boosting effects of Tulsi, let us know about different types of Tulsi:-
- Rama Tulsi:-
Rama Tulsi, also known as Sri Tulasi, is a little sweet to taste. It features healing properties and has been used for medicinal purposes for ages. Rama Tulsi is found all across the country.
- Vana Tulsi:-
Also known as Wild Tulsi, Vana Tulsi s found around the mighty Himalayas. It features a strong aroma and is known to boost immunity. Additionally, it is also beneficial in enhancing physical and mental endurance.
- Shyama or Krishna Tulsi:-
This Tulsi is purple colored and the leaves are crisp in texture. It is known to cure skin diseases, throat infections, nasal lesions, respiratory ailments, and ear aches.
- Kapoor Tulsi:-
Kapoor Tulsi is known to repel mosquitoes and insects. It is packed with medicinal benefits and features a sweet fragrance.
How to Boost Immune System Naturally?
Ayurveda has used tulsi as immunity booster for centuries to cure and prevent diseases. Tulsi leaves are rich in fiber, protein, Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Vitamin C, potassium, phosphorus, calcium, iron, and magnesium. Tulsi is rich with ample health benefits and has proved to be effective in preventing our body from several diseases and infections in relation to the heart, skin, liver, kidney, etc. Therefore, quite rightly, Tulsi is known as the ‘Queen of Herbs’
Being rich in zinc and Vitamin C, Tulsi keeps a body away from infections and boosts immunity. It boasts various anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral properties that protect humans from infectious diseases. The extract of Tulsi leaves, when consumed, increases the activity of killer cells and T helper cells, which further help in boosting immunity.
Is Tulsi Immunity Booster?
Yes! Tulsi is an herb highly effective in enhancing immunity. It is rich in vitamins, minerals, and various other beneficial elements that help boost immunity. Additionally, Tulsi is resistant to microbes that help fight several infections and infectious diseases. All in all, Tulsi is a highly effective immunity booster.
Different forms we can consume tulsi in?
Tulsi is a beneficial herb that one should consume it regularly. There are several ways in which you can do so. Tulsi, unlike several other herbs, is tasty. It smells and tastes refreshing. When added to beverages like tea, it turns out excellent in, taste and smell both. Let us take a look at the various ways in which it can be consumed.
- You can dry the leaves of Tulsi and add brew them with tea. This is one of the tastiest ways of consuming Tulsi. Additionally, your beverage also begins to smell excellent. Also, various tea brands in the market claim to have Tulsi added as an ingredient in their packaged tea. But, the best way is to add raw leaves yourself and go as natural as possible.
- Have a plant grown at home, be it your huge garden or a small balcony, and consume a few leaves daily. It is as simple as this. Tulsi leaves are great in taste and refreshing. Getting habituated to consume it daily is one of the healthiest habits you will ever train yourself to follow. Experts suggest consuming twelve Tulsi leaves in the morning and evening. It helps to resist stress and have normal blood pressure regulating the frequent blood sugar imbalance.
- Tulsi leaves are often boiled in water and consumed. The benefits of drinking Tulsi water in morning are ample. A decoction of ginger, tulsi leaves, and a little honey is a very healthy recipe for ailments like bronchitis, influenza, colds, asthma, and cough. Additionally, it also tastes good. No bitter taste is a bonus.
- Apart from Tulsi leaves, people also consume Tulsi seeds. It holds several beneficial features as well. When mixed with Cow’s milk or water, Tulsi seeds act as a soothing and nourishing agent for the human body. It works as an excellent antioxidant.
- Tulsi can also prove to be very effective for patients suffering from Kidney stones. In such a case, one should consume a mixture of honey mixed with the juice of Tulsi leaves for six months. If followed regularly, this process is known to expel the renal stones naturally via the urinary tract. This is a well-known Ayurvedic process and has been widely used in ancient medicine.
- You can prepare a refreshing tea using ginger, clove, Tulsi leaves, and about a teaspoon of honey. This tea does not just taste good but is also highly beneficial in enhancing your metabolism. With enhanced metabolism, this preparation also helps in weight loss. Hence, if you are looking out for a cure to obesity, Tulsi can be truly effective.
- For weight loss, you can consume Tulsi leaves boiled in water with honey regularly. For preparation, you should use one cup of water, one tablespoon honey, and 6 to 7 Tulsi leaves.
- Tulsi can also be consumed in a detox drink. To prepare a Tulsi detox drink, you need 3 peppercorns, half an inch of grated ginger, 7 to 8 Tulsi leaves, half an inch of grated raw turmeric, and about 1 and a 1/2 cups of water. Boil everything together on medium flame and strain it once done. Consume this detox water twice daily. This detox water helps in the weight loss process and cleanses your body.
Are there any Tulsi Leaves side effects?
Tulsi has ample beneficial effects on the body. However, there are some side effects as well that you must know of before incorporating Tulsi in your routine. Let us know about them:-
- Tulsi is not good for a pregnant woman:- Tulsi has adverse effects on pregnant females and her baby. In many cases, it also can lead to miscarriages. Tulsi contains estragole that might cause the uterus to contract which may prove to be dangerous for the embryo. Additional effects include diarrhea and affect the menstrual cycle in women.
- Tulsi might not be beneficial for diabetic patients:- Tulsi is known to lower blood sugar levels. If a patient consumes tulsi, who is already on medication to lower blood sugar levels, can have excessive low blood sugar levels. This can prove to be harmful.
- Tulsi can affect fertility:- Animal studies have shown that Tulsi consumption leads to negatively impact fertility in males and females. Tulsi lowers the sperm count in males and is also responsible to decrease the weight of reproductive organs like the ovary, prostate glands, testes, uterus, and adrenal glands.
- Might lead to over thinning of blood:- Tulsi is a good home remedy for people who do not wish to consume medicines. In case someone consumes medicines along with Tulsi, blood might become thinner than normal.
- Tulsi may damage your liver:- WHO states that if an individual consumes pain relievers like acetaminophen have high risks of damaging their liver if they consume Tulsi regularly. This happens because both Tulsi and acetaminophen are known to relieve pain and when they work together, they might adversely affect human health.
- Tulsi stains teeth:- Many people consume Tulsi by chewing the leaves regularly. Tulsi has iron which stains teeth when chewed. You can avoid this by simply swallowing the Tulsi leaves instead of chewing them.
Is Tulsi antiviral?
Tulsi is an antiviral herb. It is known to resist viruses and keep you healthy. Hence, Tulsi is known to be very effective in fighting cough, cold, fever, and other viral diseases.